The Inn Listed on the National Historic Register, the Inn is named in honor of Adele Haas Turner. She was a true nineteenth century Victorian lady born in 1865. Adele spent summers in Newport for most of her adult life. She married Andrew J. Turner, a prominent Philadelphia cotton broker in 1886, and gave birth to their only child, the legendary Newport artist Beatrice Turner in 1889. More about Adele Turner below.
Nestled among century-old homes on the first gas-lit street in America, the Adele Turner Inn awaits your arrival and discovery. Located in the heart of Newport's Historic Hill, this vintage Victorian is just steps away from harbor-front shopping, fine dining, and all that Newport has to offer.
Built in 1855 to house the sea captains and officers of shipping merchant Augustus Littlefield, this historic Inn is believed to be Rhode Island's oldest lodging house currently still serving guests. Prior to the million dollar renovation and re-design in 2000 by the Legendary Inns of Newport group, and subsequent renaming and debut of the Adele Turner Inn in 2001, the property was known as the Admiral Benbow Inn for about 20 years. History, hospitality, and heritage are the hallmarks of Newport style, and this fine tradition continues today as the Adele Turner Inn.
Adele Turner's Life Adele lived in Philadelphia in the winter and summered in Newport, where she died in July of 1940. She was an artist, historian, and philanthropist. She was one of the founding members of The Plastic Club of Philadelphia, America's oldest art club for women.
Adele Turner's summer life centered around her special interests -- all of which were located within several blocks of the Inn at 93 Pelham Street, which now bears her name. Every Sunday morning she spent in Newport, she walked up Pelham Street on her way to Trinity church, where both she and her famous daughter were members. At the top of Pelham Street is the Newport Art Association where she was very active both as an artist and in volunteer work. A block south from there was the Newport Casino complex (now the International Tennis Hall of Fame) where she attended the first night of every production each summer at the Casino Civic Theater. Heading north 2 blocks is the Newport Historical Society, another of her favorite haunts.
Adele Turner came from an impressive line of noted Philadelphia ancestors. She was the eighth in line from Francis Daniel Pastorious founder of Germantown, Pennsylvania and fifth in line from Jacob Shallus, who penned the constitution of the United States. She was also descended from Francis Shallus, founder and generalissimo of the Improved Order of Red Men. She was a member of the Colonial Dames of America, the Newport Art Association, and the Newport Historical Society. She died in July 1940, shortly after attending the Casino Civic Theater opening, as had been her annual custom.
There is a plaque in the Philadelphia Art Museum commemorating the permanent trust fund set up in the names of "Adele Haas Turner and Beatrice Pastorious Turner"as benefactors of a trust fund designed for the purchase of American contemporary art for the museum. Their bequest has been used since 1948 for the purchase of paintings by some of the best known artists of the twentieth century.